Sunday, April 27, 2008

What I've Learned from Art...

Art is a deep subject. It encompasses history, communications, techniques and mediums. It beautifies, sensitizes, counsels and heals. Art teaches us to linger longer, slow down, explore and get messy.
It reminds us that humankind is intertwined together.
Each of us has an influence, a story and special gifts to give. Whether or not one agrees with the content or form of a particular art piece, a person of understanding must dig deeper beyond the visual to comprehend each artist’s intent and cultural background. Mayor Guiliani’s lack of investigation of Chris Ofili’s “The Holy Virgin Mary” struck me as an ignorant move on his part only after I had some background knowledge. I must be honest in saying that initially my own reaction to the elephant dung being paired with the Madonna offended me as well.
At 72, Dennis Heiner was ineffectual in his interpretation, which led to his action of smearing white paint across Ofili’s work. They say, “Knowledge is power”. Ignorance is not “bliss” but a power that can destroy, not build up a community. Ofili’s background is African and Catholic so a blend of culture and faith is what his art piece projects. No one seemed to bother to ask though until after the fact. Sad.
The Crocker Museum was great (again). As a teacher of young children the Crocker visit again brought home the fact that real experiences are far more meaningful and firmly connects other learning experiences together. These links make strong connections in the brain, which I believe and have learned from my other Human Development courses, prevent them from being “pruned” later in life.
As an adult learner this real experience is similarly valuable. A recent PBS special shared that memory retention is best kept when older Americans learn something entirely new to them.
This can prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s. (See videos on “The Brain Fitness Program”
except the last one on the bar.)
Quote:
"Individuals who lead mentally stimulating lives, through education, occupation and leisure activities, have reduced risk of developing Alzheimer's symptoms. Studies suggest that they have 35-40% less risk of manifesting the disease"- Dr. Yaakov Stern, Division Leader of the Cognitive Neuroscience Division of the Sergievsky Center at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York.
http://ezinearticles.com/?7-Quotes-From-Neuroscientists-That-Will-Revolutionize-Brain-And-Mind-Health,-Fitness-And-Wellness&id=714987
This blog along with the photos, video and quotes etc. are meant to support the writing in each section. It is an attempt to weave information together feeding the viewer from a well balanced "pallette". I hope you enjoy experiencing this as much as I did putting this together!!
Also, as I watched the potter "center the clay" and speak about the process, I connected some parallel lessons about life as well. Before centering the clay she prepared it.
(How are we preparing ourselves?)
I believe there are kneading and shaping tasks that were done before the video began.
This was not in the video. (I am referring to my limited knowledge base of pottery.)
Once this was done she firmly threw down the prepared clay onto the wheel, which anchored it to the wheel.
(What goals, pathways and passions are we anchoring ourselves to, I thought?)
That was the beginning of the video.
With some explanations and demonstrations she deftly began to make her object. The first phrase while centering the clay that caught my ear was “Hold onto your left hand with your right creating a triangle of strength.” And “Pushing the clay up and down the clay has nowhere else to go.”
In life we are prepared by the choices we make, the experiences we have, the company we keep and the efforts we make. These all allow us to become centered only as we allow ourselves to be “pushed up and down” (stretched and compressed) until the path is clear and there is no other place to go.
That which does not break us makes us stronger.
Ecclesiastes 3:12
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not easily broken.

Jeremiah 18:3-4
3-So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel.
4- But the pot he was shaping from clay was marred in his hands;
so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.

This class has allowed me to be like clay in the potter's hand. I have been exposed to the many facets of the art world which has broadened my view of the world. I look at art much differently now and am willing to dig deeper into the "back story" of the artist, the process and my very self as I view and experience a piece of their world.
Technology (Blogs, voice threads and this online experience) has given me a doorway through which I can further enhance my future learning. I will be pursuing a BA in Family Studies entirely online this next January '09. This class influenced and anchored that decision. Thank you Michelle for giving me some tools that I did not have before.
This experience will go with me, supporting my future educational experiences.
Marilyn Martino, Class of '08, Sierra College
Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Education Master Teacher
and Liberal Arts A.S.

No comments: