Thursday, April 10, 2008

ART VISIT March 16, 2008

Third Floor, top of staircase










Side View Crocker Mansion Lobby Entrance

The Experience
On Sunday, March 16th my family and I went to the Crocker Art Museum. Upon arriving I was just as awestruck by the architecture of the building as before. We parked along the street where the park is across from the museum and so we were able to see the enormity of the entire building from the side view. I was amazed to think that this was actually someone’s home at one time!
Climbing the massive stairs to the lobby we noticed that Edwin Deakin (California painter of the picturesque) was the featured artist on the second floor. I decided we would see the upper third floor first and then return to the 2nd floor to see the featured artist. I was so glad that we used that strategy. Photos were not allowed for Deakin’s work, as they did not own the collection however, I could take photos on the third and first floor of pieces they did own- without a flash on the camera.
The first marble piece we viewed was in the lobby. My photo is taken with it as required for documenting my visit. This pose I recall, upon reflection could be viewed as disrespectful humor because I am smiling however, I think of it as “gazing into the future- no matter where the storms are…there is a thriving strength in preparation.”
We took the curved staircase up to the third floor where it ended in another landing filled with marble sculptures and paintings. There Nydia, Blind Flower girl of Pompeii greeted us as well as several other paintings. I discovered that next to each work was a brief written explanation. This serves to give the public a deeper understanding of important details regarding who the artist is, when born, title of work, date, the subject, a bit perhaps about the technique, who donated it and special things to look for in the work.

As I used my camera to visually journal my visit, the lighting in this area challenged me. Natural light steamed through windows while elsewhere electric light illuminated the works where natural could not. I found that eliminating the use of my flash actually enhanced my photos. Glare was not an issue on the canvasses and the photos of everything were simply crisper. (I learned this by mistake when omitting the step to turn off the flash between photos and turning the camera on and off.) Natural versus non- natural light did get to be a problem, as I had to find the spot that my camera could capture each piece without shadows or glare. A simple repositioning of my view was all that was needed.
We turned right down a long room where many art pieces were displayed featuring each distinctly separate from the other. This gave time to enjoy each piece without being distracted by another artist’s work. At the end of this room one enters another larger “Salon” where the pieces are displayed in “Salon Style”. Each piece is displayed directly next to others side by side and in rows from top to bottom clear to the top of one of the highest ceilings I have seen.
In several of my Human Development classes I am reminded of the need for children to see real things and real people rather than a screen or a book to make clear connections within the brain. The same works with adults while viewing artwork. The eye can see sharper details than camera lenses can capture and produce.
Each photo lacked clarity and depth. It did not do the actual work much justice! I could not make out the details of paint textures or other mediums used. Colors were not as vibrant in the camera nor was the lighting as effective as the real thing. You could not sense the expanse of each room or corridor. The bend of the floor boards beneath your feet, the lighting and the ability to move from one area or another is lost with books or computer. You simply see what the photographer or author sees and wants to share with you. You lose choices in perspective; interpretation, and visual experiences are altered becoming second hand. Second hand information is second best. A person loses the all-important “AAH” factor. So, still I believe the same premise about seeing actual things in person not on screen or printed page applies to grown persons as well as children.

Favorite work
The Marble works, the 3-d painting, the deserts, the vacuum, a new acquisitioned Renoir and the “My father” painting were among my favorites. Each had a varying appeal or impact to my senses, preferences and emotions. The carved detail of the marble pieces were amazing to me. The smooth lines and flow of the surfaces with shadow and light allow the beauty of each feature to unfold. There were two pieces specifically that you could walk around allowing a 360 degree view.
The 3-D painting caught my eye… The Renoir ---I never thought I would see one!! (I had felt that way about Grandma Moses work also!) The deserts and the vacuum were simply fun. I recognized the painting technique of layering paint on the desert paintings and the vacuum was all dolled up with multi media materials…. Wow!
I think my favorite one of all was the “My Father” It took up nearly one entire wall. It was so large in fact that you truly needed to view it from half way across the room to see what the artist was entirely conveying. My first impression was that this was a man at peace, perhaps sleeping restfully. As I approached the painting I could see many swirls of gray and silver lines mixed in with layered color behind them. The explanation reads "Portrait of My Father" which took seven years to complete. This artist was exposed to an open atmosphere at the UC Davis Art Department in the 1960's. (Per Crocker Museum)
What struck me the most was the love that this artist must have had for the father. He must have been torn to let go (the swirls) but knowing that to stay any longer would prevent his father a true, peaceful rest. It spoke to me of the struggle of not wanting to let go yet versus the beauty of the process to doing so. This strikes a strong chord with me and the person viewing Kaltenbach's work in my photo. If fact I had thought his work was a photo!!!

Reflections
While the “Salon” kept me busy for a while and had many incredible a varying works displayed I found that I preferred my earlier experiences where each piece was displayed with a bit of space surrounding each. It was difficult to learn about each piece of artwork in the Salon, as I had to go back to the displays where the “Map” of each wall had everything labeled. Not many details were given as in the rooms surrounding this Salon.
I really loved viewing each work and testing myself mentally to see if I knew anything about the particular work. Who was the artist? What time period, style, technique? …I would first approach the work to view the content. What was this telling me? Was this a story, an announcement, a recording of history, a political statement? How did I feel about it? Then a photograph was taken and a reading of the museums’ information alongside each piece was read and notes taken. A greater understanding would often unfold once I read the detailed discription if I were puzzled about a particular piece.
(A special "thank you" goes out to to my instructors in Human Development- where I learned additional observation work/ techniques- their work continues on with me in this course and beyond!! Very much appreciated and insightful!!)
Everyone in my family enjoyed their time there at the Crocker Museum. It was just the right amount of time spent viewing the third, second and first floors. No photos were taken of the first (or bottom floor) and my family wants to return again. It was said as we were leaving, "We need to do more of this type of thing..."

3 comments:

Michelle Pacansky-Brock said...

Wow! Terrific reflections, Marilyn. I'm so excited to see how much you took away from this experience. Awesome job!
-Michelle

Michelle Pacansky-Brock said...

Hi Marilyn,

OK, now on to more serious things...you are late with your Thomas Kinkade, Favorite Painting and Collision of Two Worlds posts. This is the equivalent of three nudges (which is a 15 point deduction on your next blog post).

PLease catch up with your posts to avoid further point deductions.

-Michelle

Lisa's Baby Bowtique said...

Marilyn, I found this reflection very fascinating. I think it is awesome that your family all went to the Crocker Art Museum together. That had to be such a wonderful experience for every one. It seems like you really learned a lot from the museum, as did I. That is SO awesome! I am glad you enjoyed this class.